Sunday, June 21, 2009

You're Just Not Good Enough

Now the life of the model, especially a new model, is full of rejection. People don't know you or your reliability enough to take a chance on you. Filling out dozens fo agency applications and getting no response well that's par for the course too. On the rare occasion you'll get back a pretty standard you aren't what we're looking for at the moment but we'll keep your app on file response or the more common: we feel you need more training here's information on our academy. All of which makes sense, an agency has the right to hire or not hire whomever they want. And it's up to us as models to decide if we want to shell out more lindens for more training on the off chance that we might end up working for the agency. I don't mind being told no or honestly I don't really expect to hear anything back when I apply for things but yesterday I and several other models got a pretty nasty one liner about our results from a casting call. At first my brain joked that my strike outs had gone into extra innings. I can admit it wasn't my best walk so really I wasn't stressing over not being selected. I think it was the way the information was relayed that annoyed me and apparently even more models who weren't as polite or in this case docile as I was in responding to the IM. I had wanted to be just as snippy back but the industry curse came into my brain then. It only takes one or two people talking about you being difficult or bad at anything for you to just basically be turned down by everyone. And in some cases it's as basic as the situation I just told you about. Nasty initial comment, appropriately nasty response. We do have a few outlets to voice our opinions but again we always have to decide if it's worth potentially not working. It's a catch 22.

0 comments: